We are all the woman reaching out to touch the Hem of Christ. Through our prayers, our interactions with our faith community, our church attendance, we seek healing from the many things that ail us in this world. We seek healing for physical, mental, emotional, financial, relational, spiritual pain, crying out to God to be merciful. We pray for miracles and angels. We search for meaning for our pain and pray for peace and a knowing surrounding the reasons why, or when our pain might end. We are all the woman reaching out, believe that we will be healed, if only we touch a thread from Christ’s garment.
While we are all seekers, we are also the hands and feet of Christ, helping Him answer the prayers of others. As individuals living with dementia, as care partners, family and friends, and as community members, we become the hem of Christ for those seeking healing in the life and those journeying with us on the dementia journey.
Over the years, others have reached out to me, and I have long since dreamt of finding a way to reach back out to these individuals in a new way. It will take a visionary and creative approach to shift the current narrative of dementia and faith, to reach back out and to help heal, but it can be done. Originally the St. Dymphna Dementia Ministry, starting in 2013, it has evolved and changed to meet the needs of current clients community members. Through this ministry, we serve those seeking to grow in faith, in search of healing, through:
- Visiting of the Sick and Homebound – Bringing the Eucharist to Catholics
- Wealthy in Faith Workshop: Learning how to Minister to those Living with Dementia
- Weekly Prayer Intentions via Social Media
- Advent Reflections
- Lenten Reflections
- Holy Day Reflections
- Lessons in the Saints – Life Enrichment Program
- Care Partner Support
- Community Connections – Connections you to Spiritual Directors, Faith Communities, and other resources to help you on your faith journey.
- Various Blog Posts and Guest Blog Posts
- The Hem of Christ Children’s Book – Coming 2021
- The Hem of Christ: Walking the Faith Journey with Dementia – Coming 2021
- Day Long in-person and virtual retreats – Coming 2021
- And more!
While I am Catholic and view faith through that lens, I can connect you with others across throughout the Midwest, Greater New York, and New England who live and practice various other faith traditions.
We learn through the beauty of art. We connect through our shared stories. We find the hem of Christ in one another.
Visit the Hem of Christ Instagram Page and follow along!